Re: No sound - seeking ideas

[This mail was also posted to linux.debian.user.]

Thx for responding, Charlie.

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:30:03 +0100, Charlie wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:38:51 +0000 David Parfitt sent:
>
>> Hi all:
>> I've newly bought a laptop (details at end) & installed Jessie 8.2.
>> All's well except that I have no sound.  I've done quite a lot of
>> online research but got nowhere.  I'm looking for ANY other practical
>> ideas, please.
>
> Sound is a never ending problem with Debian. It's just the way it is, so
> I have found it.

I never have before.  It's always 'just worked'.  Haven't had a new
laptop for some time, though.

> Try alsamixer and press F6 and if you have the option of a couple of
> sound cards try each one. But it may not stick if you reboot.

Done & done ... only 'default' and 'HDA Intel PCH' available (and "enter
device name")

> Try pulseaudio, you don't always need to use pavucontrol, that works
> sometimes but after a reboot it also may fail. Then uninstall it and try
> again without and that may work.

I've often noticed recommendations to uninstall pulseaudio but never seen
a case where it has been reported to work :)  apt-get purge pulseaudio
wants to take gnome & lots of other stuff with it :((

> Sometimes your headphone jack works and sometimes it doesn't so you play
> around with alsamixer and pulseaudio and you can possibly get it
> working. I haven't been able to recently.

And so it goes ..

> It's really, try everything till you hit on the combination that works
> and depending what audio package you use, you may also have to select
> the audio function to get the sound to work. VLC has heaps and you just
> work through them till one works. One will probably work?
>
> Or you may plug in a USB stick

What is this?

and get a dialogue up that asks you what
> you want to do with the sound configuration, various options. All a bit
> hit and miss.
>
> I've never had sound working constantly no matter what brand laptop or
> sound card is in the machine. If I want to listen to music or speech on
> a video, always have to fiddle to get it working. Done it for so many
> years now it has become automagic.
>
> Probably not much help.

No, in fact, but I'm nonetheless grateful you made the effort.  Thx again.
D2