Re: LVM info - OTHER than HOWTO's

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 01:29:01PM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
LVM is a kludge.

Not at all.

LVM can increase the size of partitions by giving them more space on
either an empty section of disk or another disk. Either way, you

Yes.

then need to increase the filesystem size on that partition,
which is usually but not always doable. It does not grant any

You can resize an ext3 or ext4 partition online without downtime.

I’m doing this quite often with virtual hosts.
- Oh, the partition is getting too small in the VM
- Add a new disk to the VM, hotplug feature
- Add the new disk to the LVM partition
- Resize the filesystem
- Finished and no downtime

This is working with Debian and SLES.

If you need to move things around a lot, you might want btrfs or
zfs instead of lvm.

I consider btrfs still experimental. Maybe I will try it in one year, and zfs seems to be only available in a fuse implemention.

I prefer ext4 and ext3.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--