Re: no SMART support for western digital drive

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:17:20AM -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> The hard drive is placed in a Dual Bay external hard drive docking
> station which is connected via USB to my computer. Is that a problem?

Yes.

> Is my only option to connect this hard drive internally? How does one
> check the health of a drive connected via USB?

Some USB<->SATA bridge devices support SMART, but many do not. smartctl
knows how to query SMART parameters for some USB bridges:

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices

In your case, either the bridge doesn't support it, or smartctl does not
know how to query SMART via that particular bridge (but could perhaps be
taught how to by a suitably talented programmer).