Re: no SMART support for western digital drive

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> On 16/11/2015 3:32 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> Running gsmartcontrol on a brand new Western Digital hard drive
>> says that SMART support is unavailable. I was under the impression
>> that most hard drives have SMART support these days. Given that
>> Western Digital is a popular company I am a bit shocked that they
>> are manufacturing hard drives without SMART support.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a work around to check the health of this
>> drive?
>
> It's likely that the drive isn't directly connected to the SATA bus;
> if it is going through a "bridge" device, be that a USB, Firewire or
> something else... then there is every chance that your are being
> denied access as it isn't passing through.
>
> Kind Regards
> AndrewM

The hard drive is placed in a Dual Bay external hard drive docking
station which is connected via USB to my computer. Is that a problem?

Docking station info:
Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station
for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator/Cloner Function
[4TB Support] (EC-HDD2)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKC14OG

Is my only option to connect this hard drive internally? How does one
check the health of a drive connected via USB?

thanks
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog