Re: can't boot Jessie since power drop-out (virtualbox on MacBook with SSD)

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:59:19 +1100
"Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:

>I was/am running Jessie 8.2 in a VirtualBox on my MacBook.  The MacBook
>shutdown without warning while my Jessie VB was running, and now the VM
>wont boot properly.  I get stuck in emergency mode.  Ctrl-D does nothing
>- just cycle back to same message.
>
>I googled a bit and found that if I comment out entries in /etc/fstab
>for the cdrom and my home directory (on the mac) then it will boot fine.
>Once booted I can uncomment my home directory entry and mount it ok, but
>the system refuses to boot if it is left uncommented.
>
>It used to work find before the power drop-out, so I'm presuming
>something is corrupt on the filesystem somewhere.
>I tried to boot a live image and do an "fsck /dev/sda1" but it said it
>was clean.  Really ???
>
>What's the best way to recover this so my system will boot properly?
>
>I was going to do a reinstall but I couldn't find a way of doing that
>without repartitioning the disk (which I didn't want to do as I don't
>want to lose any of my data).
>I could always create a new virtual disk for my home directory and just
>reinstall a new debian system, but I figure there should be a better way
>to recover.
>
>Thanks,
>Brendan.

Check the hidden files in your home directory. They should all be user
owned. If any are root owned, that can prevent the user from being able
to access the directory.

The usual suspects are .Xauthority and .ICEauthority. I delete the
problem, usually. Then I can restart and the system will work again.It
recreates the missing file in the users name.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914