Re: where does unstable appear from?

On 2015-11-03 at 04:07, Alex Moonshine wrote:

> On 11/03/2015 06:15 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
>> You mean your suggestion to install Sid? I agree. Suggesting that
>> someone run sid just so that they can have the latest package, is
>> IMHO, very cruel.
>
> To someone who runs stable - sure. He's running testing, though,
> which is more troublesome, in my experience, then Sid.

That does not match my experience, at all.

When I first installed Debian (I think with potato), I started out with
running stable; it wasn't long before I switched to tracking sid, for
various reasons including the awareness that unstable does no good if
people don't help test it.

This worked okay-ish for some while, but in the long run I definitely
had cause to regret it. I ended up with a computer in an inconsistent
and broken state, which it wasn't clear could practically be fixed even
by a lot of manual work - so when I built my next new computer, I
reinstalled. The first time, I still kept tracking sid.

Then the same thing happened again, only arguably worse, on _that_
computer. So when I built my _next_ new computer, I abandoned sid and
switched to tracking testing.

So far, the only structural problem I've had with testing has been in
the grub-related packages, in the form of longstanding open bugs
reported by people whose computers became unbootable after a grub
upgrade (which may have been related to the transition away from
grub-legacy); I've had those packages set on hold for what seems like
years now, ever since those bugs first appeared, to avoid the risk of
this computer getting into a similar state. Even this hasn't caused me
any practical problems, however.

(Well, aside from temporary breakage due to package transitions such as
the recent lib*v5 mess. That's just a matter of "wait a few weeks before
dist-upgrading", though, which isn't unreasonable; it seems unlikely
that most people will want to dist-upgrade multiple times a week the way
I usually do outside of a release freeze.)

> Even Debian documentation recommends unstable over testing:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

I think I can see what you're interpreting as "recommends unstable over
testing" in that document, but only barely. It's certainly not a bald or
unequivocal recommendation, unless I'm missing something.

I would certainly not recommend that _anyone_ run sid on their primary
computer, much less on their only computer. Installing a single package
as a one-off is one thing (and I occasionally do it myself), but - as
the name implies - sid is, and probably always will be, too unstable to
be safe for general use.

--
   The Wanderer