Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Mon 02 Nov 2015 at 15:01:16 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 02 November 2015 12:15:51 Brian wrote:
> >  And not all of us are fully
> >
> > > able-bodied.  You would appear to be able to read well and fast.  Not all
> > > of us are that fortunate.
> >
> > I do not see the relevance of this to reading the Debian documentation
> > accompanying a release. Unless it is thought to be an optional extra. :)
>
> I can't, as in can't, read all the documentation.  So I try to pick out the
> headings that obviously really matter, am never an early adopter, and try to
> pay close attention to what other people say.  As I say, you are lucky.
>
> And before you say "Of course you could, if you wanted to", I can't climb
> Mount Everest either.  Not even if I wanted to.
>
> Others are worse off than I am.  No it is not an optional extra.  But some of
> us have to do without all the same.

What are you appealing to here? d-i no longer installs aptitude; reasons
have been given. This fact may or may not eventually appear in the
release notes; reading them is no more onerous than reading some random
web page.

Your argument appears to be based on the state of a person's eyesight.
It also makes assertions about the state of mine. This is out of line;
you have no knowledge about the state of my sight (and never will).

Please refrain from framing aruments in terms of preconceptions or
agendas,