Re: Recommendations for interactive use shell

Le septidi 7 brumaire, an CCXXIV, kamaraju kusumanchi a écrit :
> I highly recommend zsh. It has superb auto completion facilities. In
> particular, I like the following features in it.
>
> 1) When doing tab completion, zsh can list files in the order they
> were created/modified. Currently this is not possible in bash.
> 2) Unlike tcsh, zsh shell scripting supports functions, which I
> extensively use. FWIW bash supports functions as well.
> 3) The tab completion entries are cleared after successful tab completion.
> 4) Ability to remove old duplicates from the history file.
>
> My wiki page http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Why_notes#Why_zsh contains
> more details on this. But since wiki pages can change/evolve over
> time, I am summarizing the contents here.

You can add to the list:

Extended globbing: zsh has globbing qualifiers that make find almost
unnecessary, to test on the file size, type, etc. For example: find all
broken links: *(@-@); all empty files: *(L0); all recent (2 hours) plain
word-readable files: *(.Rmh-2).

Temporary file process substitution: =(command) is like <(command), but with
a temp file instead of a pipe in /dev/fd, for commands that like real files.

HTH.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George