Re: Suitable USB WiFi Adapter

On Wed, October 28, 2015 1:46 pm, Doug wrote:
> I recently bought an adapter fro an old Dell that I couldn't get the
> Broadcom driver to work on. The adapter hardly stuck out above the
> surface where the USB port was. It worked, but it had very limited range.

The antennas on WiFi routers typicaly are about six inches long; so a
physically compact dongle must compromise the antenna system.

A USB 2.0 cable can be up to ten feet long; use that and duct tape to
position the dongle for best reception; or put the dongle on a bookshelf
or over a curtain rod; or use a loop of twine and a thumbtack to position
the dongle on a wall.

With high frequencies, even a few inches difference in location can made a
significant difference in reception, so experiment.

Some ASUS adapters come with a six-inch semi-rigid gooseneck USB cable so
you can adjust the position of the dongle while keeping it close to the
computer.

Russ