Re: Suitable USB WiFi Adapter

On 10/28/2015 04:03 PM, Tim McDonough wrote:

The older Dell laptop that I use for my mobile work has a broken internal WiFi adapter. I'd like to get a recommendation on a USB "stick" type adapter that plays well with Debian and Linux in general. Since I have nothing now I'd just as soon get one that covers as many WiFi modes as is practical... plan for the future.

Suggestions?

Tim

I recently bought an adapter fro an old Dell that I couldn't get the Broadcom driver to work on. The adapter hardly stuck out above the surface where the USB port was. It worked, but it had very limited range.

If you just want to use it in the house, it will probably be OK, but to work with Hotspots out in the open a couple of blocks away, or whatever, it would not work. I don't remember the name of it, but obviously

it did not have sufficient antenna in such a small package. You should look for something about the size of  USB Flash dongle if you want to try for distance.

--doug