Re: systemd gpsd does not start on boot

Am 26.10.2015 um 17:13 schrieb Philippe Clérié:
> On 10/25/2015 01:52 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:

>> Well, was there actually a request over the socket /var/run/gpsd.sock
>> which would trigger the start of the service?
>>
>> If there is no such request from a client, the service will not be
>> started. The maintainer of gpsd apparently has setup gpsd so it is
>> started on-demand and apparently there is no demand from a client.
>>

> Looks like he did half the job then. I'm pretty sure my ntp daemon works
> over /run/gpsd.sock. I'm also pretty sure nothing queries gpsd over the
> local tcp socket on port 2947.

/var/run should be a symlink to /run. Please check that, if not, then
something is wrong.
How das ntp + gpsd work? Does your ntp daemon accesses actually access
/run/gpsd.sock? If so it should trigger the start of gpsd.service.

Also, whenever udev finds GPS hardware, it should trigger
gpsdctl@.service. See /lib/udev/rules.d/60-gpsd.rules.
Do you have such a gpsdctl@<device>.service instance running?

The gpsdctl@.service instance in turn will run
gpsdctl add /dev/<device>. gpsdctl talks to gpsd over
/var/run/gpsd.socket, so will trigger the start of gpsd.service

If not, maybe the udev rules file does not list your hardware and that's
the root cause for this issue

universe are pointed away from Earth?