Re: 64bit run on mips64r2

On 20/10/15 18:58, Mehmet CELIK wrote:
> Hi all..
>
> How can I run amd64 application in mips64r2 OS. I'm trying multiarch, but doesnt support amd64 in mips64r2 (Octeon CPU/Standart Glibc).
>
> Is It possible ??

Possible, yes.
Viable, no.

The CPU will not understand AMD64 instructions, so they need to be
translated to the host's native CPU instruction set.  This results in a
reduction of performance.  Two options exist for doing this: QEMU and Bochs.

e.g. it's possible to run Linux on an 8-bit AVR (ATMega1284P) computer:
http://hackaday.com/2012/03/28/building-the-worst-linux-pc-ever/

In that case, code to emulate an ARM machine was programmed into the AVR
chip.

Given that MIPS machines are generally both more expensive and slower
than modern AMD64 systems, one has to question the logic in such an
endeavour except maybe to prove it can be done.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.