Re: macbook pro - new install - issues

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 03:53:59PM +0000, Miguel Negrão wrote:
> Miguel Negrão <miguel.negrao-lists <at> friendlyvirus.org> writes:
>
> > 1 - This mac has a portuguese keyboard layout. The portuguese keyboard
> > layout is not working on gnome and gdm. Although it appears in the list of
> > keyboard layouts on the top right corner in gdm, typing in the keyboard
> > always outputs characters according to the us layout.
> >

> I can confirm that upgrading to testing fixes this issue. How can I discover
> what package is causing this issue ? Will whatever fixed this be backported
> to jessie ? I would prefer to run jessie if possible (kept version before
> upgrading to testing in a btrfs snapshot).

Typically only security fixes and some other time critical stuff[1] is
backported to stable.  You could figure out what package has the issue
and backport it yourself to Jessie.

1. https://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates

> Btw, the font rendering is slightly better in testing (gtk apps mostly). It
> is more blurry than ubuntu or stable. Inside iceweasel it still looks the same.

You can try adding this to your ~/.fonts.conf.  Apparently by default
iceweasel uses non-true type fonts:

    <fontconfig>
      <!-- Helvetica is a non true type font, and will look bad. This
           replaces it with whatever is the default sans-serif font -->
      <match target="pattern">
        <test name="family" qual="any" >
          <string>Helvetica</string>
        </test>