Re: Reporting Bug

On Thu 22 Oct 2015 at 16:19:49 +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 01:15 -0500, Adrian O'Dell wrote:
> > There appears to be a bug which has Plagued me for years. Oddly I
> > don't have the bug in Linux Mint. Did they edit this part of the
> > installer?
> >
> > My name contains an apostrophe, which causes the Debian installer to
> > not create my user account. Long time ago when I tried to seek help
> > via IRC was told I must have done something wrong. Two days ago I
> > confirmed through multiple installs that the apostrophe is the
> > culprit.
> >
> > This is the only attempt I will make at filing a bug report. Anyone
> > more familiar with filing a bug report, it would be greatly
> > appreciated if you would make sure it gets filed properly so it may
> > be resolved.  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting is an ugly wall
> > of text which immediately discouraged me from wanting to file a bug
> > report anymore.
>
> You can pretty much stop right after the first sentence and just use
> reportbug.

Strongly recommended.

> The one gotcha is that reportbug needs either a working mail server
> configuration or an SMTP host. In your case you could use GMail:
> https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug#Using_GMail.27s_SMTP_Server

There is no need to use GMail, a mailserver on the machine or an SMTP
host. The novice operating mode of 'reportbug' has in its prompts:

   Do you have a "mail transport agent" (MTA) like Exim,
   Postfix or SSMTP configured on this computer to send
   mail to the Internet? [y|N|q|?]? n

   Please enter the name of your SMTP host. Usually it's
   called something like "mail.example.org" or "smtp.example.org".
   If you need to use a different port than default, use the
   <host>:<port> alternative format.

   Just press ENTER if you don't have one or don't know, and so
   a Debian SMTP host will be used.

~/.reportbugrc will have 'smtp reportbug.debian.org' in the file if
ENTER is pressed.

Not exactly a gotcha.