Re: System Dorked -- Help!

Hi,

> From mount of root partition in Debian live session, moun --bind /dev to
> root partition's dev,

Do i get it right that are trying to start your hard disk installed
Linux from a running LiveCD Linux ?
Interesting stunt. But far from being standard.

> On booting, get errors. Can get to console login titled Kali, but cannot log
> in to it, not previous users, "user," root, nada.

Whatever started up, it is incomplete.
If it says "Kali" then it can hardly be vanilla Debian.

> Loads of LSB cannot do something

This statement is too condensed for me to understand.
LSB = Linux Standard Base , Least Significant Bit ?
I guess it is about the former, but still get no grip on
what you experience there.

Whatever, you seem to be beyond boot loader when the errors
happen.
So your problem is either in your GNU/Linux initrd, or in
the system files, or in the way the boot loader started the
Linux kernel.

> Tried restoring previous boot loader: lilo -i  ... -M .... mbr
> Was not bootable.

This is then probably a separate problem.

Too many problems to propose a small solution from what
i know meanwhile.

In your situation i would try to get a trustworthy hard
disk and install a new Debian 8. I'd give up LILO, because
GRUB2 is mainstream now and gives more hope to find an expert
who can help.
Then i would customize the new system by help of the files
on the old disks and copy any valuable user data from the not
trustworthy disks.

My own hardware failure happened 4 months ago. After a month
i had my new machine quite in the shape of the old one.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas