Re: System Dorked -- Help!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 10:32 PM,  <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> [...]

Moved or copied? Did the impending actually fail?

When I do something like this, I generally copy and make sure the
thing works before abandoning the old boot disk.

Is LVM involved? or RAID? Do you have a second disk controller off the
motherboard and end up using both controllers so that something thinks
you were trying to use RAID?

> Going into a live Debian 7,

I'm guessing that's Kali?

> I mounted the old and new partitions, copied the

At this point, I'm completely lost about where your boot partition and
other partitions are. Sorry.

> modified files (which had been done on the old version :-( ) and chroot and
> tried to re-run lilo. Segmentation fault. I had been running an up-to-date
> Sid so maybe that is the problem. The lilo is on the partition, not on the
> live distro.

Yeah, but which partition?

>> > Fact is, with certain combination of cabling,

I assume you are using parallel ATA here like my old box?

master/slave and position on those cables is always a bit of a mess.

>> > I had the bootloader
>> > actually work, load the initrd, and start up, but the new root was not
>> > connected

not connected to what?

>> > so could not proceed. So what can I do about this?
>> > ‭‮
>
> More:
> I installed to the live distro its lilo

I'm having a real problem parsing that. You installed a live distro's
lilo to the live distro?

Is the live distro on a USB drive or something?

> and ran from command line specifying
> the configuration file and map.

Ran what on what command line?

> This is what I get:
> Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0012 (NFS/RAID mirror down?)

So, I'm not the only one having trouble figuring out what you are
doing where. ;-)

>> Ok, no segment fault. If I use the -q option, it will display my boot
>> choices.

So is this now in the chroot or booting up in lilo on which device?

> So, what's next?
>
>> ‭‮
>
> And more::
>
> Found by Googling that I can bind /proc, /dev to chroot and then the
> installed lilo will run! Same results with or without /proc binding. /dev
> binding got rid of the original error.

In the chroot or from BIOS?

> Boots up with a load of errors but I am now in a machine called "Kali Linux"

Is Kali the live distro you are using?

> I cannot log on to anything. Errors too numerous and fast to see. ACPI, does
> not work on this system anyway. Login service failed to start. Etc.
>
> So maybe!! almost there. What else need I do get back to where I was?
> Something else to bind?
> Copy to restore from the original root directory?
>
> (Possibly the "user" login from the live distro might work (password?), and
> I could recreate previous users if need be but that does not touch the other
> errors.)

(Talk about chewing gum and bailing wire.)

First, what was your original partition layout? What was the boot
disk, where were your other partitions?

Can you reconstruct it, even though you may be risking booting on a
failing disk?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html