Re: System Dorked -- Help!

On Wednesday 21 October 2015 10:13:21 Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> On 21/10/15 14:56, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:32:40 +0300
> >
> > d_baron@012.net.il wrote:
> >> ----- Original Message -----From: d_baron@012.net.ilDate:
> >> Wednesday, October 21, 2015 11:18 amSubject: Re: System Dorked --
> >> Help!To: >debian-user@lists.debian.org> ----- Original Message
> >> -----> From: d_baron@012.net.il> Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015
> >> 10:24 am> >Subject: System Dorked -- Help!> To:
> >> debian-user@lists.debian.org> > After being warned of impending
> >> failure of my oldie but goodie >80gig disk -- I had placed my root
> >> directory there because the installation's partition was too small
> >> and did this successfully -- I moved the >root directory to a
> >> partition on another disk, edited files, ran lilo, seemingly
> >> successfully, and voile: No boot. Get 99's or nothing at >all.Going
> >> into a live Debian 7, I mounted the old and new partitions, copied
> >> the modified files (which had been done on the old version :->>( )
> >> and chroot and tried to re-run lilo. Segmentation fault. I had been
> >> running an up-to-date Sid so maybe that is the problem. The lilo is
>
>  the live
>
> distro.> > Fact is, with certain combination of cabling, I had the
> bootloader actually work, load the initrd, >and start up, but the new
> root was not connected so could not proceed. So what can I do about
> this?> > ‭‮More:I installed to the live distro >lo and ran from
> command line specifying the configuration file and map. This is what I
> get:Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed>device 12 (NFS/RAID mirror
> down ?)> Ok, no segment fault. If I use the -q option, it will display
> my boot choices.So, what's next?> ‭‮An more::Found <><by Googling that
> I can bind /proc, /dev to chroot and then the installed lilo will run!
> Same results with or without /proc binding.> /dev binding got rid of
> the original error.Boots up with a load of errors but I am now in a
> machine called "Kali Linux" I cannot log on to anything.< <Errors too
> numerous and fast to see. ACPI, does not work on this system anyway.
> Login service failed to start. Etc.So maybe!! almost there. What else
> need I do ge t back t
>  where I was? Something else to bind?Copy to restore from the original
> root directory?(Possibly the "user"< login from the live distro might
> work (password?), and I could recreate previous users if need be but
> that does not touch the other errors.)<‭‮
>
> > Quoting the relevant query: "So what can I do about this?"
> >
> > Send properly formatted mail, so it is legible ?
>
> well, it was perfectly legible here, suggesting the problem may be at
> your end. ;)

Sorry to disagree, but both his and your, emails appear to have been
composed in an html editor, but neither contains a mime-type or mime
boundary marker header lines.  Without those an email reader cannot tell
what format the message is in. html encoded text contains lots of html
markup language as extra text, sometimes even mid-word, and no line
breaks.

So it is one continuous mass of text, full of giberish html markup
commands, and is basically an unreadable mess to an email agent
expecting to see normal ascii text because of the lack of proper mime
typing.

The solution is to either turn off the html in the editors configuration,
or enable mime-typing, or change editors.  Whatever works, but this is
not working for a fully mime compliant email agent.

As for list prefs, the preferences are for plain text, and mid-message or
bottom posting, preferably inserting your replies to a given question
immediately after the question has been asked.  In the same order as a
normal back and forth conversation would be heard by a 3rd party
listening to it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)