Re: impending disk failure?

On 17/10/15 17:47, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Dominique Dumont wrote:
On Saturday 17 October 2015 14:15:52 Tony van der Hoff wrote:
Can anyone please explain what it means, and whether I should be
worried?
You should check the drive with smartctl.

See http://www.smartmontools.org/

HTH

Yes.. and be sure to go beyond the basic tests.

First off, make sure it's running:
smartctl -s on -A /dev/disk0   ;for each drive, and using the
appropriate /dev/..

Then after, it's accumulated some stats:
smartctl -A /dev/disk0

For a lot of drives, the first line - raw read errors, can be very
telling - anything other than 0, and your disk is failing.
Start-up-time can be telling, if it's increasing.

The thing is, that most drives, except those designed for use in RAID
arrays, mask impending disk failures, by re-reading blocks multiple
times - they often get the data eventually, but your machine keeps
getting slower and slower.

Thanks Miles, and tomás, for your helpful replies.

I apologise for the delay in replying, but I've been away from my desk a few days.

I have however been doing some extensive googling, and it would appear that the raw read error count is something of a red herring, especially when applied to Seagate drives, as these are. Both my drives have quite high (in the millions) of RREC; numbers which are precisely matched by the Hardware ECC Recovered counts, suggesting that the RREC is merely an artifact od HHDs being essentially a mechanical device, being pushed to its limits using clever technology. The SMART extended tests reveal no problems.

The Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. is particularly informative in the relative importance of these error counts; the RREC can be safely ignored, as somebody else here recently suggested.

So, back to the original problem; I think tomás hit the nail on the head. I've re-plugged the SATA cables, to no great effect; I have now ordered a couple of new cables, and will see whether that helps.

Thanks again to  all.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |