Re: How to make apt-transport-https accept security.debian.org bad certificate?

On 20/10/15 00:55, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Are you sure that "/etc/hosts" can be used for that?. As far as I
> know "/etc/hosts" is used to locally assign the IP addresses to
> domain names, for domain name resolution, instead of, or overriding
> the usual DNS resolution procedure.
>
> I do not understand how I could use /etc/hosts to work around this
> problem. Suppose I make "security.debian.org" resolve to one of the
> IP addresses of "debian.org". Apt will still "think" that is is
> connecting to "security.debian.org", so there will still be a
> certificate mismatch, plus as an added problem. it is contacting
> the wrong server now.

under a normal situation yes this would work, as you could also update
your apt sources.list to use the "correct" domain name. (by correct
domain, i mean the one in the ssl cert).

however i've had a quick look;

http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/jessie/updates/non-free
/binary-i386/Packages.bz2

this is a request from an update, using the same in a web browser but
https does not issue an invalid cert, in actual fact we get a
connection reset.

"The connection to security.debian.org was interrupted while the page
was loading."

testing with openssl;

mike@mike-laptop3:~/git/ssl/src$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect
security.debian.org:443 </dev/null
CONNECTED(00000003)
140013054264976:error:140790E5:SSL routines:SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake
failure:s23_lib.c:184:
- ---
no peer certificate available
- ---
No client certificate CA names sent
- ---
- ---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
- ---

even with overriding DNS

212.211.132.250	debian.org

this will not work, as the server proving security.debian.org does not
have a valid ssl setup.

So in this case there is not much you can do.

Kind Regards,
Mike