Mimic an Xbox 360 controller with an Xbox One controller

Hello,

I recently bought an Xbox One controller and kept my Xbox 360 (wired)
controller as a spare controller for playing with friends, and I've run
into several games that worked fine with my 360 controller but have
slightly off button-mappings with the XBOne controller, or simply don't
see the controller.

For games that don't (or poorly) support the Xbox One controller, is it
possible to force xpad to present an Xbox One controller to userspace in
exactly as it would with an Xbox 360 (wired, of course) controller?  Or
maybe there is a program that can set up a virtual 360 device that
simply wraps the XBOne device?

Of course, if developers provided a controller configuration interface
instead of hard-coding everything for the Xbox 360 controller, I
wouldn't even be having this problem.  (In case you haven't already
guessed, these are all Linux ports of Windows games that are giving me
trouble.)

Regards,
Aidan Gauland