Re: [OT] Has my e-mail account been hacked?

On 10/13/2015 05:43 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:36:27 -0400 (EDT), Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
I tend to think passwords (except the very simplest or guessable ones)
are not "discovered" but handed over.
1. My password is known only to me.  Even my wife doesn't know it.
2. My password is a random sequence of uppercase and lowercase letters.
    It is not a pronounceable word, and it is fairly long.
3. I use e-mail only from my home computer.
4. I use wired ethernet only
5. I never respond to the (almost daily) phishing attacks designed to
    coax my password out of me.
6. My wife and I are empty nesters.  There is no-one else at home.

In short, I have not "handed it over".
I've been reading a bit, but not all of this situation (deleted everything up to this point). It is possible to construct an email from the ground up, giving it whatever from-address you like whether real or imaginary. This would be consistent with the headers showing the source as some unexpected remote location.