Re: [OT] Has my e-mail account been hacked?

On Wed 14 Oct 2015 at 02:22:34 +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> On 13/10/2015 7:15 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> > Stuart Longland: I had a similar case on my self-administered mail
> > host. A friend of mine has an account there and random hosts from
> > all over the world used his credentials to send legitimately
> > looking spam. We never found out how this happened but changing the
> > password was enough to make it stop.
>
> Odds on it was open WiFi somewhere, people trust public WiFi ... I
> cannot understand why.  It is patently stupid [or ignorant at best] to
> use public [or otherwise open] WiFi -- if you don't run it yourself or
> you totally trust the person whom is running it, then leave it alone.

Quite right! I run an open WiFi hotspot. I control it, so it is set up
to remove all vowels from email which is sent through it. Mind you, I
haven't yet found a way to access the computers which connect to the
router and then send spam using them. Perhaps you can give me a clue how
to do this in a surefire way.

> Linus had quite a fit over OpenSuSE handling of WiFi networks; it was
> asking for root password to enable the WiFi (amongst other things) --
> that I think is absolutely the right way to do this.  Admins should
> allow network access specifically, not ordinary users, let alone
> Linus' daughter whom otherwise should never need to know the root
> password.

For all the gory journalistic details start with

  http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-snarls-at-opensuse-desktop-linuxs-security/

If only Linus had the sense to use Debian. :)