Re: print .tex or .dvi or .ps from Windows

Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net):
> I use LaTeX to create a .tex document file, then I use dvips to generate
> a .ps file to send to my Postscript printer.
>
> I would like to send a document file (.tex or .dvi or .ps) as an
> email attachment to an associate so that he can print a copy and file
> it.  There is no need for him to edit the file.  But my associate is
> running Windows, and does not have a Postscript printer.
>
> Is there a fool-proof solution to this need?  I have considered asking
> my associate to install ghostscript, and I have considered purchasing
> a Postscript printer for him.  I do not know which Windows
> (XP, Vista, or 7) he is running.

Most people nowadays would produce .pdf files from LaTeX. I use
LuaLaTeX myself but I'm sure there are alternatives. I haven't looked
at a .dvi for years. I remember they're very quick to page through
multi-page documents, but graphic includes were a problem.

I've standardised on .pdf and .png for including in documents, and .pdf
for all output. I rely on tools like pdftk and pdfjam for juggling,
shuffling, bursting, collating, scaling, passwords, etc. Anyone can
read/print/manipulate my documents with no expenses/special tools.
Anything (like paps) that produces PostScript goes straight through
ps2pdf - -

Cheers,
David.