Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Quoting ray (ray@aarden.us):
> Installing stretch stops at detecting network devices.  This is an attempt to install stretch over the top of Windows 10 on a Toshiba Radius 15 with 2 each USB2 ports and 2 each USB3 ports, and no RJ-45.  Its wireless is based upon the Intel 7265.
>
> I tested this laptop with the latest Debian Live on a stick and all worked fine.  Now, I am attempting an installation of stretch from a stick.
>
> Just before the presentation of the wireless list, the system reports the need to install non-free:
> iwlwifi-7265D-9
> iwlwifi-7265D-10
> iwlwifi-7265D-11
> iwlwifi-7265D-12
> and asks for media.   [I have not been able to find those four specific files on the Internet.]  I have copied iwlwifi from Intel and from the Debian wiki on wifi and placed the tarred files on a FAT32 formated stick in the 'firmware' directory.  When I respond 'yes' to supplying the files, the screen blinks and returns - over and over again.  If I select no, it moves to the driver selection page.
>
> The network card screen comes up, I select the Intel recommended firmware iwlsifi, but the page just recreates itself and waits for a new selection.  If I select either 'none' or 'not listed', the installation fails saying there is no network card.
>
> I have obtained from Intel their suggestion as of Aug 2015:
> iwlwifi-7265-ucode-25.30.14.0.tgz
> I placed this on a USB stick in a subdirectory labeled 'firmware'.  This was built from Windows 7 on a FAT32 file system.
>
> There is also a Dynadock docking station that connects to the Toshiba via a USB3 cable.  Besides video, USB,and audio, this has an Ethernet port.  I have tried this connected to the laptop but it also requires a driver.  I have placed that driver on the firmware directory of the USB also.
>
> Are the four files listed above somehow inside the iwlwifi driver tgz?

The contents are:

LICENSE.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
README.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode

You need to unpack with tar, and put these files themselves in your
firmware directory on the stick (rather than the whole archive).

Cheers,
David.