apt-get update hanging on security and backports.

Running Wheezy. Recently, update has been hanging on http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main and http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main. The other repos at uchicago.edu breeze through, but the two above just sit there waiting -- waiting -- waiting until they finally connect. I tried the redirector - http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main - same hang. Also, trying to get to the Debian irc at Freenode just sits there for a few minutes before connecting. I can ping these sites without a hitch and traceroute shows nothing amiss. I edited resolv.conf to a new DNS server, but nada. Any advice, pointers, work-arounds, etc. appreciated.