Subtitles don't show properly in VLC, how to fix it? (Debian 7)

Hello.

When I try to watch a video with external .srt subtitles in VLC, I get strings like "98 --> 00:00:11" (which are strings part of the .stt file) instead of the proper text. The problem is the same whether I open the subtitles with the "Open (advanced)" menu option, or name both files the same (except for the extension) and use the "Video"->"Subtitles Track" menu to select the subtitles.

How can I fix or work around this problem?.

Thanks in advance.