Re: X not working after apt-get upgrade on sid

On 10/9/15, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:24:31 -0400
> James Richardson <james@jamestechnotes.com> wrote:
>
>> I just did an apt-get upgrade, rebooted, then X would start but
>> without any keyboard or mouse.
>
> This has a serious bug (798097) linked to logind, which may be also
> responsible for your problem:
>
>> [    44.668] xorg-server 2:1.17.2-3
>
> The previous xserver-xorg-core version is 2:1.17.2-1.1, which I'm still
> running successfully.
>
> xorg 1:7.7+12 is currently marked as uninstallable, I'm still on
> 1:7.7+9, the same for xserver-xorg.
>
> I have apt-listbugs installed, which warns of serious bugs before
> carrying out upgrades.

This is so weird how these work and don't. I just installed/upgraded
xorg (from 7.7+9 to 7.7+12) earlier today. Rebooted because things
were kind of sluggish and didn't run into any problems... *that
time*..

Found another anomaly that I noted to myself couple days ago (and have
since "misplaced") regarding upgrades and how amazingly different each
*_CHOICE_* we make in the process can make things...

Re apt-listbugs, THANK YOU!! You just saved me having to dig through a
ton of notes looking for precisely that tidbit. Had forgotten about it
then remembered couple days ago when reportbug offered a current list
of open bugs for a package..

Seems like I commented somewhere a while back that apt-listbugs is a
nice tool for getting more airtime for existing bugs.... that maybe
over time it helps inspire people to get involved somehow through
repeated exposure to Debian's issues... and also that existing,
knowledgeable Devs might incidentally see something pending that they
have just the right experience to help fix on the spot now that they
are aware it needs... fixed.

Something like that, anyway.. :)

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* listening to the rhythm of the falling rain.... *