Re: X not working after apt-get upgrade on sid

On 2015-10-09 22:24 +0200, James Richardson wrote:

> I just did an apt-get upgrade, rebooted, then X would start but without
> any keyboard or mouse.
>
> I am writing this to perhaps help the next person that runs into this. I
> am also open to suggestions for action items to take away to possible
> raise a bug report.
>
> I may have missed a changelog, but apparently there is now a new group
> called input, of which a user running X must be a member.

The group isn't so new actually, it has been there since udev 214-1.
What's new is that the X server by default is no longer installed with a
suid wrapper which grants access to input devices, among other things.

> Don't know if a bug should be raised against a package (udev? maybe) or
> a Readme updated or if I just run an unsupported configuration.
>
> My configuration is (probably) strange in that:
> 1. I use runit for my init process.
> 2. I have much of systemd and sysV purged and blocked from being
> install.
> 3. I start X from the CLI via startx
> 4. I run fluxbox and no proper DE.
>
> Perhaps running a systemd/gnome config would cause debconf to ask about
> adding users to the input group.

Actually, if you were running systemd, logind would grant access to the
input devices.  Since this is apparently not what you want, your best
bet is probably to install the xserver-xorg-legacy package which now
contains the setuid wrapper.

Adding users to the input group is not recommended, since you don't want
users who are logged in remotely via SSH to snoop on your keyboard.

Cheers,
       Sven