Re: Machine freezes after kernel update

On 10/07/2015 08:56 AM, Riley Baird wrote:

After the last kernel update and restart, a wheezy-based machine (laptop
running 7.9) boots to some point, however it freezes just before opening
GUI. Access to CLI (Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc) is also not possible. What to do to
recover?

Debian saves your old kernels upon an upgrade. In the GRUB bootloader
menu, select "Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux". Then, select
the kernel version that you want. If this works, the problem is with
the new kernel. If it doesn't, it is probably something to do with the
GUI. Try doing this and let us know what happens.

Thanks. Well I do not have GRUB here but LILO, and there are no saved old kernels as long as I know. However, I managed to access the file system by using rescue CD, and noticed that the older kernel images were archived in /var/cache/apt/archives as .deb packages. For example, there are few 3.2.68-1+deb7u4 images & headers (that worked perfectly), however apt-get install still wants to use "newest" version 3.2.71-2 (that produced the problem). Is it possible to force it to install the older version from the .deb files? Or, how to install from .deb files in rescue CLI?