Re: bewildering boot problem -- a little more info

On Oct 5, 2015, at 1:04 AM, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> All those 30-ish seconds timeout and the error message you mention
> above smell of something trying to resolve a host name, failing
> and giving up (timeout).

Yup. The timeouts do, anyway. The error messages from the kernel when I start XFCE never time out.

> Although I can't, for the life of me, imagine
> what DNS lookups might be involved in the starting of a term.

It's not just a term, it's somewhere in the X software. Most likely in XFCE.

I don't understand the name lookup either, and the resolve config is set to look at /etc/hosts before hitting DNS. All the local hosts are in there. But I've seen the XFCE startup whine about not being to do DNS type things before.

> To poke a bit in the dark, try (in a console) "ping localhost". What
> happens?

Works great.

> Then try "ssh <yourusername>@localhost".

Hadn't though of trying ssh, but I bet it works to localhost. I'll try it in the morning.

I found those two things the kernel error messages are about (CAP_NET_<something> and the other CAP_ thing). They're in the kernel source code, in a file called something like capabilities.h. They're both #defines -- one is 15; the other is a different small integer (17 or 18, IIRC). Now I really have no idea what the boot is talking about. Sounds like it's telling me the kernel needs to be recompiled.

They do have to do with setting capabilities in networking, though.

--
Glenn English