bewildering boot problem

A few hours ago, my laptop (after booting Wheezy) started saying that it was trying to load a module for a network interface (CAP_SYS_MODULE) that was deprecated -- I should use CAP_NET_ADMIN instead.

I'm configuring an old Cicso router using Putty to get to the RS232 port on the router -- that was fine yesterday. At boot, nothing has any idea about Putty, I'm pretty sure. And RS232 is rarely considered a significant network protocol, anyway.

I've been turning eth0 and wlan0 off and on because I'm working on a live network, so I don't want to disturb anything going on there.

This morning, I added a printer to the laptop using CUPS. But I've done that on several machines with no problems at all. And the messages started a while after I did that. Long enough after that I don't think that's causing the problem.

On the computer's console, the message keeps repeating over and over, for a very long time, it looks like. It doesn't bother the text going back and forth to the router, but if I open a significant GUI (like a web browser), the CPU performance approaches a Z-80. And I can't ping anything, even when there's a reasonable routing table. Well, I can ping localhost, but not the machine's IP.

I turned off all the network interfaces, even loopback, with no effect. I deleted the printer I just put in, also with no effect. "find / -iname "*<moduleName>*"" can't find either of the modules. Just sitting there, the OS repeats the message. And "top" shows nothing interesting, nor does "ps".

I am using XFCE, and that works well as best I can tell -- it really does seem to have something to do with networking.

Anybody have any idea of what may be going on? Or better yet, how to make it quit and still work?

--
Glenn English