Re: googleearth-package (jessie)

On Sat, October 3, 2015 4:45 pm, John Hasler wrote:
> rlharris writes:
>> So, at the present time, it appears that the need for
>> "googleearth-package" has passed -- at least with respect to Jessie
>> (and in my case, with the combination of Xfce on an i386 system).
>> Direct installation with gdebi is simpler and faster.
>
> What about those whose computers are Gnome free?

All I know is that when I installed Jessie, I specified only the Xcfe
desktop, and I did not specify Gnome.  (Months ago I tried to install both
Gnome and Xfce on a system, and something went awry.)

The installer may have installed some Gnome packages, but that does not
bother me, so long as I have the Xfce desktop.

And thinking of it now, I did subsequently install gnome-disk-utility,
which I use almost daily.

If a Gnome package -- such as gdebi or gnome-disk-utility runs properly
apart from the Gnome desktop, should I be concerned?

Russ