Re: Terminal Madness?

Hi,

Curt wrote:
> I've seen things I thought were there that weren't, due to the internal
> state of my machine.

And then there is mad hardware ...

I understand from the initial mail of this thread that
alpine is more victim than offender. Being one of its
users myself i can say that jed is not especially related
to alpine.
Nevertheless both, alpine and jed, show unexplained behavior
with the alpine configuration file .pinerc .

Bob Bernstein wrote:
> [...] I edit in jed the .pinerc [...]
> AS I STARE AT THE LINES IN JED CHARACTERS ARE CHANGING "ON THEIR
> OWN" WITHOUT ME TOUCHING A KEY.

Are these changes in any way senseful ? (Or is it random noise ?)

Do they only happen while alpine or jed access the .pinerc file ?
(E.g. watch .pinerc by md5sum whether it changes on its own.)

The proposals to look by "fuser" and "lsof" for other processes
accessing the .pinrec file are in any case worth a try.

> Has anyone EVA seen text file characters in an editor just change
> before their eyes without any intervention from the operator?

There are collaborative editors which show this behavior when
other people edit the same file (normally by the same editor).
But http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/features.html does not bragg with
such a capability.

You could make tests for that feature:

- Use jed to edit the same file in two different terminals
  at the same time.

- While editing a file by jed, alter its content by external means.
  E.g.
    echo "Hello jed. Do you see this ?" >> the_file

Have a nice day :)

Thomas