Re: NFS rename sometimes hangs for 15 seconds after upgrade to Debian 8

Peter Ludikovsky wrote:

> The big difference happens at packets 58/54 (Deb7/Deb8). For Deb7, the
> RENAME call is immediately answered by an NFS4_OK, whereas for Deb8 as
> the client it's an NFS4ERR_DELAY. I haven't seen any reason on the
> client communication that would explain that, however this is far
> beyond my knowledge of the NFS internals.

The DELAY response in the deb8 trace is likely so that the server can
ask the .3 client to return its delegation, which it does at packets
56-57.  (The .3 client obtained its delegation at packet 39 as part of
the reply to the OPEN op.)

In the deb7 trace, the other client is .4, not .3.  It does not get a
delegation when it opens file2 (see packet 39), so the server can
process the RENAME immediately.

mike