Re: Brazilian portuguese keyboard and accented characters (á, ç, ã) (Solved)

Hi Michael,

After testing several input sources I found that the best would be:

Alternative international USA. (alt-intl)

But ccedilla "ç" was not working.

Searching on "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" (https://debian-handbook.info/) I found in section "8.1.2 Configuring the Keyboard":

"Until Debian Lenny, the keyboard layout was controlled by two different systems: for the console, console-tools / console-data; for graphical environments, keyboard-configuration.

Since Squeeze, These two systems have been unified and keyboard-configuration controls the keyboard layout in both console and graphical mode. The dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration command can be used at any time to reset the keyboard layout.

The questions are relevant to the keyboard physical layout (a standard PC keyboard in the US will be the "Generic 104 key"), then the layout to choose (Generally "US"), And then the position of the AltGr key (right Alt ).

Finally comes the question of the key to use for the "Compose key", Which allows for entering special characters by combining keystrokes. Type successively Compose ' e and produce an e-acute ("é"). All These combinations are described in the /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose file (or another file, determined according to the current locale indicated by /usr/share/X11/locale/compose.dir).

I had to enable the "compose key" with the following:

settings (configurações) -> keyboard (teclado) -> shortcuts (atalhos) -> typing (digitação) -> composition key (tecla de composição) -> righ Alt (Alt direito)

And in file /usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-1 I found:
<Multi_key> <c> <comma>            : "\347"    ccedilla
<Multi_key> <c> <cedilla>        : "\347"    ccedilla
<Multi_key> <comma> <c>            : "\347"    ccedilla

So ccedilha "ç" could be typed with Alt + , + c or Alt + c + ,

I also found some info at https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Thanks for your tip.
Markos