Compiling coreutils from source

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to static linking the coreutils. But for some reasons it
fails with a cryptic bug for me.

For building I'm using the vagrant box deb/jessie-amd64. So anyone who
is interested can reproduce it.

I have done the following steps:
> $ apt-get source coreutils
> $ cd coreutils-8.23/
> $ export CFLAGS="-static -O2 -g"
> $ ./configure
> $ make

And ended up whit this error:
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9/crtbeginT.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `__TMC_END__' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I tried to recompile it with -fPIC options like mentioned from the error...
> $ make clean
> $ export CFLAGS="-static -O2 -g -fPIC"
> $ make
... and ended up with the same error.

I googled a bit around and found this stackoverflow questions which
sounds similar to my problem:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/530617/how-to-make-a-static-binary-of-coreutils
But also the approved solution did not work for me.

Can someone explain me what I'm missing? :)

I would also be interested what this message means and if it can be
ignored or anything should be done:
> /home/vagrant/coreutils-8.23/src/whoami.c:85: warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

Cheers
Flo