Re: Running HAL and udev Simultanteouly

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 15/09/15 23:43, Bartek wrote:
> > Still searching for a fix to stream TV via Hulu.  Worked fine with
> > Chrome/pepperflash and Iceweasal/flash until about mid-July, around
> > the release time of Windows 10. Hulu indicates that with Linux, HAL
> > is needed. My system is custom: 64-bit Wheezy, no desktop, just
> > Openbox WM and LXPanel, and udev.
> >
> > Wondering if installing HAL as Hulu suggested would cause problems?
> > I have doubts that it will work anyway.
> >
> > Any advice or fixes appreciated.
> >

> My understanding is that HAL was ejected from Debian a long time ago.
> It was getting a huge bubble machine.
> I would look for alternative.

Yes, I know.  HAL has been deprecated in Debian in favor of udev for
about 3 or 4 years.  But other distros like Ubuntu and Mint still use
it.

As far as I can tell Hulu running on Linux NEEDS some hal libraries to
play the videos now.  I don't know which one or ones.  Prior to
mid-July, everything worked fine on my system without any hal stuff.

Unfortunately, there is no real alternative other than running Windows
in a VM to stream Hulu content.

FWIW, I installed PCLinusOS 32-bit which still uses hal (LXDE desktop)
in a VM, and Hulu works just fine in Firefox. So there's hope yet.
Tried to test Chrome,but the install had problems.  And PCLOS didn't
run well. Slow and jerky. However, if hal doesn't conflict with
anything on my system -- the hal daemon doesn't need to be running,
only the libraries are needed by Hulu -- then I may just install it and
see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.