cheese is broken in wheezy as is v4l2ucp

Greetings;

Debian wheezy, 7.8 I think install, on an older (and halt buggy) athlon
amd64 dual core machine.

Attempting to run cheese to see if a rather high priced, hidef webcam
works, gets me a screen full of identical squawks that read like this:

(cheese:5847): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a
GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already
contains a widget of type GtkLabel

So cheese is busted.  And its a fresh install today.

Its a Logitech C920 camera.

So, I install all the v4l2 stuff I can find, and run that, which finds
the camera and reads out its defaults just fine.  But don't you dare
click on one of them because the common user can't putz with it, and
v4l2ucp is stuck in a continuous throw up an I can't write error that is
not clearable, the popup is self reproducing once started by the click,
so you have to find another terminal and killall it to get rid of it.

This obviously isn't quite as user-friendly as the authors intended.

So, what I am wondering about, but not sure of what I'm doing if I go
mucking around in the udev innards, is it setting the thing up when the
cable is plugged in as a root only full access?

That, as Jackie Gleason said many times "What a revoltin development that
is"

If thats the case, how do I fix it so the only user, me, can actually use
it?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)