Re: Mdadm grub install problem

command "grub-install --modules=part_gpt /dev/sdc" resolved the issue for me. however i also wanted to know that how it actually works.
what is the difference. i can understand i am mentioning gpt module in the command but what is the theoretical story behind this to work. or what is the difference b/w grub-install /dev/sdc and grub-install --modules=part_gpt /dev/sdc

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
Gary Dale a écrit :
> On 13/09/15 04:28 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> GRUB loading.
>> Welcome to GRUB!
>>
>> error: no such device: 2
>> Entering rescue mode...
>> grub rescue>
>>
>> moreover when i use command "ls"
>>
>> it shows me (hda0)
>
> mdadm doesn't care about partition tables.

But GRUB does. "No such device" seems to indicate that GRUB did not find
the disk, partition or RAID array specified in the $prefix variable,
where the files in /boot/grub/ are supposed to be located. Also, ls
showing only the whole disk (hd0) without any partition seems to
indicate that it could not read the partition table. GRUB has specific
modules to read each partition table format, and such module(s) need to
be embedded into the core image by grub-install in order to be able to
read the partition table of the disk(s) containing /boot/grub. Same with
RAID modules.

> It just wants to be able to
> find the arrays. However to start the array, grub needs the initramfs.

GRUB does not need an initramfs to start RAID arrays. The Linux kernel
does. GRUB just loads the initramfs in memory for the Linux kernel.