Re: Upgrading Debian

On Monday 14 September 2015 14:01:48 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:12:42AM +0300, Jarle Aase wrote:
> > On 09/13/2015 10:57 AM, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> > > I just want to make sure again. How can one upgrade from one
> > > version of Debian to other without losing data or without
> > > formatiing the partition, simply as Ubuntu does. An earlier mail in
> > > this mailing list stated to reboot from iso image and install in
> > > the same old traditional way. This Facebook post states something
> > > else, and I couldn't make sure what to do without bricking up my
> > > hard configured system.
> > > https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdebian/permalink/10153149941663
> > >977/
> >
> > I usually do is to update /etc/apt/sources to the version I want
>
> I think 'edit /etc/apt/sources' is a less ambiguous. I would add that
> before editing /etc/apt/sources, I would make sure the current version
> is up to date first.

Same here.  Always fully upgrade what you have already, before attempting to
upgrade to a new version.  Then edit your sources.list, re-consult the
release notes, and upgrade following the instructions.

But in this particular case he doesn't want to upgrade in that sense.  He just
needs to update his system, which because of the timing will go from 8.1 to
8.2.  So he doesn't need to do anything special.  I have met Ubuntu users
having problems with point releases before.  I don't know why.

Lisi