Re: adobe flash player in iceweasel does not work anymore in jessie

Op 12-09-15 om 21:51 schreef Liam O'Toole:
> On 2015-09-11, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:

>>> I would call it a kludge, at best. Using wget and dpkg is to invite what
>>> used to be called 'RPM hell'.
>>
>> Use "apt-get -f install" after installing a package with dependencies.
>> This will get packages from Debian. If it does need another package from
>> e.g. deb-multimedia, you have to use wget and dpkg again, and then you
>> know you have to monitor another package.
>
> Like I said: a kludge.

Your opinion, I even don't know what a kludge is.

This is not an "invention" of me, many sysadmins are using this. See:
https://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs#deb-multimedia.org

>>> It also runs the risk of missing security updates to packages.
>>
>> Realise that when you put a repo in your sources list, you normally give
>> control to that repo to install everything they want on your computer.
>
> Not when you pin the repository appropriately, as I have indicated
> elsewhere.

See my response there.

>> And to make a complete mess out of your computer. Is that good security?
>
> I would say yes in this case. The maintainer of deb-multimedia is a
> well-established Debian developer.

That's right. But in Debian we have FTP-masters and many people who are
looking when a package is in sid and in testing. Mass-rebuilds and
automated checks. The maintainer of deb-multimedia does that all by it's
own. He will make a mistake, that's murphy's law.

>> I want to know exactly what packages are not coming from Debian.
>
> That's easy to determine.

You have to do check that regulary when you care.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

https://www.vandervlis.nl/