Re: How to write live image to usb stick

Hi,

Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
> then "cp image.iso /dev/sdb" (I suppose as root, so I used sudo).

It depends on the write permissions of /dev/sdb.

> cp: cannot create regular file ‘/dev/sdb’: No medium found

Strange error message.
Do you see fresh messages in the system log after this has
happened ?

I just tried (Jessie 8.1 with fvwm and no sudo)

  cp debian-8.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdc

as normal user "thomas" in group "thomas" with

  brw-rw---- 1 root thomas 8, 32 Sep 13 18:48 /dev/sdc

(I have a script which opens access to "disks" except sda and sdb.)

All is normal. Inspection of the stick yields the expected
ISO filesystem with boot equipment and the usual nested
partitions (which partition editors dislike).

Without write permission i get
  cp: unwritable ‘/dev/sdc’ (mode 0660, rw-rw----); try anyway? y
  cp: cannot create regular file ‘/dev/sdc’: Permission denied

So this is not the reason for "No medium found".

What happens if you try to read from whole device or partition 1 ?

  dd if=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=1 of=/dev/null

  dd if=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M count=1 of=/dev/null

Any error messages to see?

The normal messages look like
  1+0 records in
  1+0 records out
  1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.0580627 s, 18.1 MB/s

Have a nice day :)

Thomas