Re: adobe flash player in iceweasel does not work anymore in jessie

On Sun 13 Sep 2015 at 01:04:27 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2015-09-12, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Yes. When a package is available in both debian and deb-multimedia, the
> >> former is always preferred.
> >
> > Except when you use "Flash from deb-multimedia for years".
>
> I don't follow. Could you please explain?

I was pointing out the apparent contradiction in advising the Debian
archives over the deb-multimedia ones and not taking it yourself. It
was not really that important to mention. :)

> >> Not so. See above.

> >> The system is no longer 'rock solid' as soon as you install any
> >> third-party software, be it via flashplayer-mozilla or
> >> flashplugin-nonfree or anything else.
> >
> > Both packages use the same source from Adobe. Why specifically should
> > one be less solid than the other when it comes to watching flash video?
>
> The point I was trying to make above neither is no more or less 'rock
> solid' than the other.

It still disturbs me a little that Lisi's machine doesn't play 4od with
HAL and flashplugin-nonfree. At

there is

   All the ones you mention plus hal-trinity.   But so has my husband's computer.
   He has only the one libflashplayer.so, the mozilla one.

   I, on the other hand, have three:
   /home/lisi/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
   /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
   /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

The second line is ok but the third line should show

  /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flash-mozilla.so

as a symlink to /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so.

I think libflashplayer.so in $HOME takes precedence over the alternatives
system. 'ls -l' might indicate which package provides it.