Re: how to solve broken package

On 09/07/2015 11:33 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2015-09-07 at 11:15, mudongliang wrote:

mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libproxy-tools libpstoedit0c2a
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get install libproxy-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libproxy-tools : Depends: libproxy1v5 (>= 0.4.11) but it is not going
to be installed

Hexchat / libproxy-tools have a dependent package:

  *

    dep: libproxy1v5 <https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libproxy1v5>
    (>= 0.4.11)
        automatic proxy configuration management library (shared)

mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ apt search libproxy1v5
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libproxy1v5/testing 0.4.11-4.2 amd64
  automatic proxy configuration management library (shared)

If I want to install libproxy1v5, I find apt-get suggests me to remove
all my gnome desktop and tools.
Maybe libproxy1v5 is broken, how can I fix it?
libpstoedit0c2a is the same!
What does 'apt-cache policy' show for libproxy-tools, libproxy1v5, and
libproxy1?

On my system, tracking current testing, I have:

========
$ apt-cache policy libproxy-tools
libproxy-tools:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4+b2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy libproxy1v5
N: Unable to locate package libproxy1v5
$ apt-cache policy libproxy1
libproxy1:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4+b2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
========

So libproxy1v5 does not exist as far as my current system knows.
Today , I do dist-upgrade to upgrade libproxy-tools to 0.4.11-4.2 from 0.4.11-4+b2.
I tried to dist-upgrade this package for several days,  but failed.
I don't know why! My Debian system is stretch(testing).

mdl@NjuMdl:~$ apt-cache policy libproxy1v5
libproxy1v5:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4.2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4.2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4.2 0
        500 http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mdl@NjuMdl:~$ apt-cache policy libproxy-tools
libproxy-tools:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4.2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4.2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4.2 0
        500 http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

On the same system, libproxy-tools appears to depend on libproxy1, not
libproxy1v5:

========
$ apt-cache $ $ show libproxy-tools
Package: libproxy-tools
Source: libproxy (0.4.11-4)
Version: 0.4.11-4+b2
Installed-Size: 22
Maintainer: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libproxy1 (>= 0.4.11)show libproxy-tools
Package: libproxy-tools
Source: libproxy (0.4.11-4)
Version: 0.4.11-4+b2
Installed-Size: 22
Maintainer: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libproxy1 (>= 0.4.11)
========

(remainder snipped).

I'd guess that you have package versions installed from multiple
repositories, which don't agree with one another about dependencies.
I think debian testing may have bugs. Today dist-upgrade have solve one of my broken packages.
Now I only has  one broken package -- "libpstoedit0c2a". Maybe I should wait several days.

Besides, I found another broken package :
mdl@NjuMdl:~$ sudo apt-get install aptitude
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 aptitude : Depends: libxapian22 but it is not going to be installed

I have another debian testing in My Vmware Workstation.
It also have the same problem.
So I think this may be not my problem. It's bug of debian testing.
    - mudongliang
You may also want to check 'apt-mark showhold' and/or the contents of
/etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/* in case they have
anything related to any of these packages.