Re: how to solve broken package

On 2015-09-07 at 11:15, mudongliang wrote:

> mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   libproxy-tools libpstoedit0c2a
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>
> mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get install libproxy-tools
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  libproxy-tools : Depends: libproxy1v5 (>= 0.4.11) but it is not going
> to be installed
>
> Hexchat / libproxy-tools have a dependent package:
>
>   *
>
>     dep: libproxy1v5 <https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libproxy1v5>
>     (>= 0.4.11)
>         automatic proxy configuration management library (shared)
>
> mdl@NjuMdl:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ apt search libproxy1v5
> Sorting... Done
> Full Text Search... Done
> libproxy1v5/testing 0.4.11-4.2 amd64
>   automatic proxy configuration management library (shared)
>
> If I want to install libproxy1v5, I find apt-get suggests me to remove
> all my gnome desktop and tools.
> Maybe libproxy1v5 is broken, how can I fix it?
> libpstoedit0c2a is the same!

What does 'apt-cache policy' show for libproxy-tools, libproxy1v5, and
libproxy1?

On my system, tracking current testing, I have:

========
$ apt-cache policy libproxy-tools
libproxy-tools:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4+b2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy libproxy1v5
N: Unable to locate package libproxy1v5
$ apt-cache policy libproxy1
libproxy1:
  Installed: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Candidate: 0.4.11-4+b2
  Version table:
 *** 0.4.11-4+b2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
========

So libproxy1v5 does not exist as far as my current system knows.

On the same system, libproxy-tools appears to depend on libproxy1, not
libproxy1v5:

========
$ apt-cache $ $ show libproxy-tools
Package: libproxy-tools
Source: libproxy (0.4.11-4)
Version: 0.4.11-4+b2
Installed-Size: 22
Maintainer: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libproxy1 (>= 0.4.11)show libproxy-tools
Package: libproxy-tools
Source: libproxy (0.4.11-4)
Version: 0.4.11-4+b2
Installed-Size: 22
Maintainer: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libproxy1 (>= 0.4.11)
========

(remainder snipped).

I'd guess that you have package versions installed from multiple
repositories, which don't agree with one another about dependencies.

You may also want to check 'apt-mark showhold' and/or the contents of
/etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/* in case they have
anything related to any of these packages.

--
   The Wanderer