Re: Getting a serial console to work on Jessie

On Wednesday 02 September 2015 20:58:29 Sven Hartge wrote:
> David Parker <dparker@utica.edu> wrote:
> > Thanks.  I actually found that site in a Google search, and it's where
> > I found the tip on copying the
> > /lib/systemd/system/serial-getty@.service template file to customize
> > the baud rate, etc.  Specifically, I found the info I needed at:
> >
> > http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/serial.htm#Systemd
>
> Well, the advise given on that website is wrong, or at least suboptimal,
> because it totally overrides the system configuration instead of only
> ammending it, which preserves future changes to the system file.
>
> Grüße,
> Sven.

Sven,

May I kindly ask you to elaborate on that? Please, because I'm interested too.
Where is better information to be had or can you at least point out where
exactly one needs to start to iron out the failings of the mentioned document?

I'm not exactly understanding what you mean by "preserves future changes to
the system file". I always had the impression that my changes to config files can
either be overwritten by updates (bad), merged into the newer config files
(difficult without administrator intervention) or left alone and new config files
installed as "release" files, or the new files installed and the old ones
backed-up as *.pkg-old.

Preserves seem always to be from the past yield, can the future be preserved?

Also, what do you mean exactly by "system file" in the case of systemd - those
in /lib/systemd/system/?

Cheers and thank you
Eike