Re: is google earth safe to install?

On Tuesday 01 September 2015 14:09:39 rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Tue, September 1, 2015 9:47 am, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > In that case, consider "marble", which provides a similar "virtual
> > globe" and is LGPL 2.1+ licensed.
>
> I did install marble.  Perhaps my installation is not correctly
> configured, but after seeing the detailed photograph of "Tour Eiffel"
> on the google.com website which advertises google earth, I am
> disappointed in marble.
>
> For example, looking at London, I see nothing but pixels in shades of
> green and tan.
>
> RLH

Gaggh, you are right, I just installed it. Minimum viewing altitude is
50km!  Nothing but smeared green large pixels where London is marked. Of
what use is this in the real world?  Even less useful than the
appendages on the belly of a bore hog.  And its no better above where I
am either.  No wonder its buried about 5 levels out in my TDE menu's,
its a total disappointment.

I have no clue where the map data is coming from, but IMO its a nukable
utility.  With the weather map data I can zoom into my neighborhood and
find my house & yard buildings with no effort at all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)