Re: is google earth safe to install?

On Tuesday 01 September 2015 09:08:19 Richard Owlett wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 September 2015 01:41:20 rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> >> To facilitate our search for property and discussion over the
> >> telephone of various properties, my client wishes me to install
> >> google earth.[SNIP]
> >
> > No clue about safety, but its unsupported and doesn't work at all
> > well with the nouveau drivers. Essentially it should be considered
> > deprecated.
> >
> > There is a newer format, used by the weather maps on most local tv
> > station web sites. Preset to show about 1/4 of WV on my old stations
> > site, but put your mouse on it, and roll the wheel and the scale can
> > be reduced to planet sized, then grabbed at the mouse pointer
> > location and drag it to turn the planet until your area of interest
> > is centered, put the mouse there and zoom back in.  All of this in
> > very close to real time, easily 100x faster than GE has ever run on
> > one of my machines.
> >
> > Works with iceweazel and chromium, no GE install needed.  Just a
> > recent browser.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Sounds interesting. What is it? Where do I find it?
> TIA

Its the live weathermap on the web site of your local tv station. it
shows a couple of usages on <www.wdtv.com> and seems to have become the
favorite way to display the last 4 hours of so of radar detected weather
activity.  The background data is from google of course, called google
maps, its a login required page at google, I don't remember my pw so
I've had the site email a reset msg.  The web server using it then
overlays the radar data in a roughly 4 hours worth of history moving
overlay.

That email hasn't been received, so I assume I have never registered.
Didn't need to, the weather maps work fine for that here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)