Re: is google earth safe to install?

On Tuesday 01 September 2015 01:41:20 rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> To facilitate our search for property and discussion over the
> telephone of various properties, my client wishes me to install google
> earth.
>
> I see that Debian has a google earth package.
>
> In view of our recent discussion "laptop protection in an office
> network", I am curious as to what danger of compromise, if any, is
> incurred by the installation of google earth.
>
> RLH

No clue about safety, but its unsupported and doesn't work at all well
with the nouveau drivers. Essentially it should be considered
deprecated.

There is a newer format, used by the weather maps on most local tv
station web sites. Preset to show about 1/4 of WV on my old stations
site, but put your mouse on it, and roll the wheel and the scale can be
reduced to planet sized, then grabbed at the mouse pointer location and
drag it to turn the planet until your area of interest is centered, put
the mouse there and zoom back in.  All of this in very close to real
time, easily 100x faster than GE has ever run on one of my machines.

Works with iceweazel and chromium, no GE install needed.  Just a recent
browser.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)