Re: quality keyboards

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sun, August 30, 2015 8:49 pm, Martin Read wrote:
> > Cherry still *are* (or at some point resumed) making mechanical
> > keyswitches with a rated life in the tens of millions, and the Internet is
> > full of mail-order vendors selling keyboards (from several different
> > manufacturers) built with those Cherry keyswitches.
>
> How much do those things cost? Now that a keyboard can be had for $10
> or $15, is it better to pay $150 or even $250 for a quality keyboard,
> or replace a $15 keyboard every year or even every six months?

There's really no comparison between a rubber dome keyboard and a
quality cherry MX or gateron-based keyboard.

I've been using a kinesis advantage pro with for about 13 years now, and
I've recently picked up an ergodox;[2] both with cherry MX brown
switches.

Some of the newer mechanical keyboards coming out of the threads here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.1700 are also worth checking
out if you've got the keyboard bug hard.

1: http://gallery.donarmstrong.com/don_lab/017_even_more_lab_desk_10232003.jpg
2: http://www.donarmstrong.com/posts/ergodox_keyboard/

I'd sign up in a hot second for any cellular company whose motto was:
"We're less horrible than a root canal with a cold chisel."
 -- Cory Doctorow